Sunday, November 18, 2007

Post 15: A video from the past


It’s funny to think that music videos did not really become popular until a few years ago. When I was a pre-teen I remember renting music videos from Blockbuster. “Back then”, they made VHS tapes with music videos on them. One music video by Backstreet Boys I remember particularly well was the video Everybody. This particular VHS tape had all the music videos of songs from one of their albums. I remember this video particularly well because the music videos took place in the old, haunted house that Casper the Friendly Ghost was filmed in. I really liked this music video because I was in love with the Backstreet Boys and one of my favorite movies as a child was Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I remember thinking this music video was one of the coolest things ever. As a boy- crazy pre-teen I was in love with Nick Carter and thought that one-day we would get married. I remember sitting in front of the TV for hours with my older sister, trying to learn all of the dance moves. I wanted to dress up and be in costume and dance just like all the people in the movie.

Looking back on my boy-band crazed days, I remember how happy and cool I felt listening to the Backstreet Boys CD. I think that at one point every little girl goes through the boy-band obsessed phase. I also think that we never really grow out of this phase. From time to time, I bring out those old CDS, and revisit many fond memories from my childhood of singing in my room or in the school talent show with friends.

It’s been years since I’ve watched the Everybody music video. Now that I’m older, and the boy-band singers are well into their 30’s, the music videos don’t impress me as much. However, I’ll never forget the feeling of giddiness that I would feel after watching that old VHS tape.

3 comments:

Tristan said...

I definitely agree with this post. I think all girls went through that boy-band crazed period. I remember feeling the same way about this video. I thought it was funny to watch it again now, since I haven’t seen it forever. It brought back a lot of memories from my middle school days when everybody was secretly in love with the Backstreet Boys and the girls swooned over Nick Carter. I remember thinking how cool it was back then, and seeing it now just makes me laugh, because the video is kind of cheesy, especially at the end. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed watching this video, which reminded me of my pre-teen self.

Regina said...

I went through the boy band craze as well and I can definitely relate to you when you said you would go to blockbuster and rent music videos. My best friend and I had the making of this video from the Backstreet boys along with a kind of documentary of them. It showed them making the video, in costume, behind the scenes and some of their everyday life. I loved it because it was neat to see and I got to watch all the guys that I had such big crushes on. It was my favorite movie at that time and it's not even a movie.

Meghan Koehn said...

Okay so I must have missed out in the craze when you couldrent music videos from blockbuster. I had no idea that you could do that. I do have to agree with you when you wne through the boy band days. Only I had it in for N'SYNC. So this muci vidoe was acually pretty cool. I have never seen it before and thought it was pretty cool. I had no idea that it was shot in the Casper house. It was a really cool video.